Thursday 11 October 2012

Pictures of Pillows

I'm a really big fan of pillows, one of the mottos my mother and I live by is that "you can never have too many pillows" as this is proven in both of our living rooms..... they are everywhere. I love that they can be very personal and give a homely touch to any room as there is a little story behind each one of my cushions. I tend to spend more time in bed than your average person so I have made it a really comfy place which reminds me of my home and my family.




















The one above is my favourite of my cushions and is really personal to me (also shown with my sock monkey and his little crochet scarf). I made it when I was very unwell and going through some tough stuff, the cushion helped me to deal with things as it was a fun distraction. I used to make lots of sock monkeys, when making a sock monkey, it takes a whole pair of socks apart from a few inch square of fabric, over time these squares were just thrown into the bottom of my sewing bag, when deciding that I wanted to try patchwork, they seemed like the perfect thing to use. I then added ribbons, buttons and felt shapes, to give it a unique and homemade feel. My dear mum then helped me to make the cushion cover for it to go on and we added a gorgeous ribbon on the back which we found in a charity shop. I love this cushion as I have fond memories of putting it all together and I love the look and feel of it too.

















This little owl cushion is a new creation of my mum's she is very talented and came up with the idea of them. I love them, so I was soo happy when I got to be the proud owner of one :) the patterns and colours suit my room really well.







This cushion, I made for my boyfriend for his birthday last week. He absolutely adores badgers and I realised he had no cushions in his room, so I made this cute one for his bed. Here is a quick tutorial of how I created it.






1: Firstly I found an outline of a badger online and printed it out. 2: I then cut it out of black felt by pinning the paper template into place and repeated this for each section of the badger in the correct colours, 3: I then laid out each piece in place, 4: then stitched around each piece to fix them together, I also attached a pearl bead as an eye, 5: I created a cushion cover out of a tea towel, in a simple 3 piece way with poppers for closing (I will do another tutorial for this as I forgot to take photos of this stage) 6: I then cut out leaf shapes from felt and fixed them to the cushion by sewing along them to look like veins in a leaf.

To wrap his gift I used brown paper and garden string, I love the old fashioned and traditional look of it. I also wrapped a bundle of his favourite sweets and chocolate with the inside of an envelope and string to match.



Dont forget to enter my Handmade Jewellery Giveaway!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the pillows! I especially like the one you made for your boyfriend. It's cool how you used a towel for the background. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete