Saturday 18 August 2012

My CFS Journey

So I’ve decided to get it out of the way and give you a brief and hopefully not too deep explanation about my personal experience with CFS since I was diagnosed 7 years ago....

The story starts when I needed the last few days of each term off from school for possibly a couple years, then it got a lot worse and I was spending a lot of time in bed. I was taken in for tests at hospital and after months of theories, tests and speculation the doctors settled on the diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after finding out I had undiagnosed Glandular fever at some point in the past. I was pretty much bedridden for a year, which was my year 11 of school so was trying to do my GCSE’s. I only managed to get to school for a couple hours in the afternoon on good days and missing school completely on the bad days. This period of my life is a bit of a hazy and fuzzy blur, I really don’t remember much at all apart from severe and continuous pain, my darkened bedroom, fatigue like I had never previously experienced and overwhelming boredom. It was quite a dark time, (literally due to light sensitivity but also emotionally and psychologically). My mum was my absolute rock, she did everything that she could in her power to help me and although I struggle to remember much from that year, I do remember my mum always being there when I needed a hug or a chat, even when I gave her a hard time sometimes.

I managed to get a ‘B’ in every subject at GCSE’s, which is quite impressive considering the circumstances. I then became a little stronger and got out of bed more often to do little things and thought I would have a go at college. With the help of personal taxi’s and very understanding teachers, my energy levels and strength gradually got better and better. I still had a lot more days off than my friends and was in constant pain and aching, but it was manageable and I was at college around 3 or 4 days a week. After getting pretty good grades I made the radical decision to go to Univeristy. Looking back, this might not have been the most sensible decision as I was adamant I would go to Portsmouth University which is 120 miles from my family home in the south-west. However it all worked out well and I think coming to university was the best decision I ever made. I learnt how to look after myself and how to deal emotionally with CFS on my own (however still with frequent of phone calls home, but I don’t think they will ever stop). I went to counselling which was definitely one of the best things I ever did as I learnt to accept that I am ill and that CFS isn’t going to just disappear overnight, this was a massive breakthrough which took me years to get to. I have now graduated with a first class honours and am living quite a slower pace of life as a graduate (still sounds weird to say) in Portsmouth, and although my energy levels have not been that great since graduating and my legs have been causing a few problems, I am still definitely not as ill as I was in school. Life is going really quite well at the moment and I am very happy with how it’s all turning out J

Take a look at the ‘About Me’ page to see what level I am at with my illness now and to see what I get up to with all my new found free time J I leave you with a photo of me at graduation….. because I actually managed to graduate :O I still cant get over it, I'm sure it will sink in eventually.




No comments:

Post a Comment